Linux File System Questions:
- Block Group, Superblock and Inode File System Structures
- What is an inode? What does an inode contain?
- How to see the contents of inode?
- Why file name is not included in the inode structure?
- What is superblock? What are the contents of superblock? How many superblocks can you find in a file system?
- How to find the backup superblock? How to force the file system to use backup superblock?
- Soft Links and Hard Links
- What are the differences between soft links and hard links?
- Why softlinks can not cross the file system?
- Why you can not create a hardlink to a directory?
- Journaling; Ext2 and Ext3 file systems
- What is the difference between ext2 & ext3 filesystems?
- What is journaling?
- What are the different modes of journaling available?
- Which journal type gives highest performance? Why?
- File System Check (fsck command)
- How to skip filesystem check (fsck) while booting into single user mode?
- What happens during a filesystem check (fsck)?
- What are different steps involved in a file system check (fsck)?
- How does the system know if it should do a file system check or not?
- File Permissions
- Explain the Linux file permissions
- When you execute the following commands on a Linux system, which will succeed? Which fails?
mkdir A; chmod 644; ls A; cd A
- What is the default permission for files and directories?
- How to change the default file / directory permission?
- How to change umask value?